RIFT Infected with the Love Bug
Because it that time/day of the year when the world turns in to a great soppy mess, all heart-laden and mushy; developers start injecting some of this Hallmark day into games the world over. And Trion‘s RIFT: Stom Legion is no exception.
A hotfix applied to RIFT introduces Festival of Mariel-Taun, a celebration of love in Telara. I wrote a bit about their Valentines offerings last year, which I never committed to the blog as it was used for a submission for a job. However, it was suitable gooey with references to their in-game marriage system, purchasable in-game wedding attire, rings, the lot. This year there seems to be little deviation from the stomach-churningly sweet Valentines tie-ins, replete with love-based epidemic, take a look at this straight from the patch notes:
- Telarans everywhere are being smitten by the Love Bug, a completely harmless disease resulting in such symptoms as ‘butterflies in the tummy’.
- Those suffering from this joyful affliction are infectious, capable of transmitting the Love Bug to up to three additional Telarans.
- Just in time for the celebration, a new Dimension Item merchant has set up shop in Tempest Bay selling wedding-themed décor! This merchant is a permanent addition and its appearance – and items – are not limited to the duration of the Festival.
- You can remove the Love Bug effect from yourself by right-clicking the effect. While you have it, you cannot receive it again.
- After infecting 3 people with the Love Bug, you are immune to re-infection for an hour.
- The Love Bug will begin spreading among the player-base sometime on Thursday, February 14th in local server time, initially by the use of mysterious love letters sent to a random selection of active characters. Check your in-game mail to see if you have a delivery!
- For Newsletter subscribers, also check your newsletters for a code to obtain a selection of the new Wedding-themed Dimension items!
An in-game ‘disease’ is nothing new to MMO’s, though calling it the Love Bug does want to make me throw up a little, so at least they’re breaking ground with in-game diseases making people feel sick in meatspace, thanks Trion. You may notice that there’s also a really heavy emphasis on providing more useless, expensive items with which to bedeck your personal dimension just in case you’d always wanted to set up your own real-life wedding pavilion and could never afford to, but now you can in Rift! So that’s something I suppose. In slightly more useful Valentines related news, from Feb 13th to Feb 17th all editions of RIFT are on sale for 25% off which can be purchased here. Meaning if you’ve been wanting to try it out, buy it for someone else or upgrade from RIFT Lite, now is a great time to do it.
Other less loved up items in the hoxfix, along with the full patch notes, can be found here on their forums.